Friday, March 15, 2013

Quick & Easy: Homemade Laundry Detergent!

As promised, here is the Laundry Detergent recipe I have been using for the past three years.  Just by having a few basic ingredients on hand, you'll be able to make detergent quickly and easily, whenever you need it!


So let's first gather what we need!




These are the ratios that I use.  You can easily adjust for larger or smaller amounts.

3 Cups Borax
2 Cups Washing Soda (or OxiClean Powder can be substituted)
16 oz. Baking Soda (about 2 cups)
1 Bar of Soap (Fels-Naptha or Ivory)


Grate the soap.  I use an old cheese grater that is designated just for this purpose.  And make sure the kids know it's not cheese so they don't try and sneak a taste!

I have found that I prefer the Fels-Naptha for a couple of reasons.  First it is a drier soap than Ivory, so when I grate it, it becomes more powdery.  If I do use Ivory, I will let it sit out unwrapped for as long as possible (a couple of weeks) to try and get it to dry out.  If the Ivory is still soft when grated, you will need to try to crumble it with your hands as you add it in.  I have also noticed that Ivory may not fully dissolve in a cold wash, whereas, I have never had that happen with the Fels-Naptha.


I use a Rubbermaid cereal container to store the detergent.
I start by adding the 3 cups of Borax.


Then the 2 cups of Washing Soda.


Followed by one 16 oz. box of Baking Soda.
The Baking Soda may not even be necessary, but it's good for your laundry and helps the detergent stretch further!


Put your grated soap on top!


I prefer to mix by hand.


And here it is....your own homemade laundry detergent!
For a full-size load, you only need 1/8 of a cup.  How's that for economical?
This batch will last me quite a while!


Here's the finished product!


For my machine, the detergent goes in first, then the clothes, then start the machine to begin filling with water.


***Just a note, I do not have a new washing machine that requires "special" detergent.  Mine is top-loading and still works great!  The Duggar Family website has a similar recipe that says it can be used for front loading machines.  Click here to view.

And a just a bit off topic, but since we're talking about cleaning, I wanted to share with you one of my new favorite products!




Watkins Products has a great variety of all natural and organic seasonings and extracts, natural apothecary, home remedies, personal care, and home care.  I am really loving the All-Purpose Cleaner, Tube & Tile Cleaner, Room Freshener, Shampoo and everything else that I purchased!

March 2014 Update: I have since decided to become an Independent Watkins Associate! (#489754)  You can visit my Watkins web site here.  I have bee very pleased with the prices and super fast shipping!

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe and have used it for many years (6+). It works lovely for a farm and gets all the farm odors out. Plus for my handicapped child who get lots of proteins on her clothes, it gets them out easily also.

    I just tried a liquid version of this recipe and so far so good. The recipe uses less volume of the ingredients but requires a larger 'dose' in the washer. So far so good but my verdict is out to whether I like the liquid version or dry version better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KelLee, I absolutely agree! This simple recipe gets out the dirt and odors of "life"! I think folks are really pleasantly surprised with the results once they try this!

    I have always preferred dry to liquid, but I've never tried a homemade liquid....I supposed I could change my mind! My thing is less mess (I tend to drip and spill!), plus I like the quickness of making the powder vs. heating, melting, mixing...

    Thanks for the input! These are things folks like to know before they try something new!

    God Bless,
    Eve

    ReplyDelete